Sunday, 21 May 2017

Sunday Summary | Here I lie // in a lost and lonely part of town

Dear FOQ

Hope you've all managed to have a bit of a rest this weekend. Last night I went to bed before ten like a geriatric after the day's choir-related hi-jinks. And had a lie-in. Forget Dopey. Sleepy is now my default dwarf setting.

But, wait, isn't next weekend ...



Hurrah! More sleep! More pointless flat reorganisation and pseudo-'sorting' whilst justifying adding more items to the endless IKEA wishlist.

Bring it on, I say.
---

This fortnight, I have mostly been expending all my energy by ...

Reading ๐Ÿ“š


Watching ๐Ÿ‘€

{These two, though. ๐Ÿ’•}

Oh and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's back on Netflix for a long-awaited third series, yay!!!!



Beginning Ma and QB's Month of Musicals* ⭐๐ŸŽถ

... with Stepping Out at the Vaudeville, Up London Tahhhhn Way (along with "Aunty" June)


*although, strictly speaking, Stepping Out wasn't technically a musical!

We didn't get to see Tamzin Outhwaite: she's still orff with a poorly foot so, more Ouch/wait than Outhwaite ...


which is a shame because the current 'Mavis' had very limited stage presence. Considering that will always be the Liza Minnelli role it needed charisma. Y'I know, Liza's a tough act to follow:


 but a little sparkle would have been nice.


That aside ... it was a proper feel-good play with some actual LOL ๐Ÿคฃ moments; and in spite of the fact Amanda Holden a) needs a good feed and b) was borrowing the best nuances of her performance from Julie "The Legend" Walters, she was actually quite enjoyable to watch.


Star of the show for us though, and by a long shot, was Tracy-Ann Oberman as Maxine (the brassy one in leopard print) who completely owned the stage.

'Mavis' should have taken a few pointers from her ...


And I was about ready to propose to Geoffrey of the Petering-Off Sentences by the end. Just wonderful.

Next week, Ma and I are off to see RENT so we can find out how to measure, measure a year.
How about looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove? 
How about loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove?
How about looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove? 
Measure in love.
Well, that's decided, then.


Singing with my Voicerox Lovelies ๐ŸŽต๐Ÿ˜˜


No big concert again this year but this end-of-term free recital of sorts was pretty epic size-wise, with standing room only at the back of the church. Testament, I think, to our pool of fans and our reputation as a pretty schhhhhweet and talented choir. *rubs knuckles on lapel*

In all seriousness, though, it went dang well and the audience were giving us huge cheers from the opening number (Can You Feel it/Killer) so we'd pretty much whipped them into a frenzy by the time the encore (Tragedy) came around. And after 18 years, my 20-year-old self finally got to put into practice the Steps moves housemate Chris was schooling me on in the doorway of our student house before my birthday party. (Cheers, Chris, you taught me well, ya long-haired hippie boy.)


To recap on our setlist (and I have almost definitely got this list out of order especially as I haven't included the solos but I'll take that risk):
Can You Feel It/Killer mashup/medley
Blackberry Way
What a Wonderful World
I Only Have Eyes for You {A Cappella}
Club Tropicana
Tragedy (when the feeling's gone and you can't go on)
Never Can Say Goodbye/The Love I Lost/Let's Go Round Again medley
Take it to the Limit  
and Sensational
{Photo by Ma QB from Miles Back in the Pews}
Check out my friend Lindsey and me conspiring to pitch a particularly tricky line in Club Tropicana ... And wait, isn't that you, Sandra, throwing some shapes at the front of the audience? ๐Ÿ˜€ So lovely to see you, Gill and Liz!

I'd be here 'til next Summary name-checking all my Lovelies who were up on the stage with me yesterday as well as all of those who came to see us Do Our Thang so I shan't but I will give special name checks to the five epic soloists: Alun, Becky, David, Diane and Pete; also to Jess for sustained fabulosity; to my fellow First Sopranos in our A Cappella number: Sue, Julia, Emma and Sally (and Emily in absentia); and to the Bill's brigade: Alun again (because Alun always warrants all the mentions ๐Ÿ˜Š),


Al (who is an unofficial VR Lovely), Charlie and Jenny; to Ma and Pa QB, and Distinguished Friend of QB, Jan, for braving railways (and having to cadge a taxi when Someone Under a Train meant no service from Redhill at the crucial time) to come and see us.

{QB and chandelier and hedgerow fizz: a study | Photo by Jan}


Oh, and our audience raised over £800 for the community centre and the Rainbow Trust charity. Whoa. Not bad. Not bad at all.

And here for your delectation is our a cappella rendition of I Only Have Eyes for You: video by Jess' son Jacob, with massive thanks:


And here, courtesy of Ma QB, is footage of Tragedy (it's a little QB-centric but hey, it's ALL ABOUT MEEEEEE!):



I'm so proud of this bunch of people.


Cooking

Well, technically only today this week. But last weekend I made aubergine parmigiana with the cheese that Sis and Ceri had actually made at home so that was fun!

Tonight: lasagne a la Miguel Barclay, with a more realistic quantity of bรฉchamel sauce added in. Srsly, Migz, 1tsp of flour and 1tsp of butter plus 150ml milk?? No, luv.

{The orange tinge to the cheese comes from the cheddar being
oak-smoked. The mature cheddar I was going to use had gone
all green and gnarly so I had to break into the tasty emergency cheese.
Needless to say it resulted in a happy paprika-tinged accident. NOM.}

Scoffed whilst watching One Fine Day.

#sundayvibes

Pinterest Pins of the Fortnight ๐Ÿ“Œ




Fortnightly Web Finds ๐Ÿ•ธ๐Ÿ”Ž

Serious

• How real books have trumped ebooks | on Guardian | via Caroline R

Uhm, excuse me for a second while I break out my ...

{#epicsmugface}

• The books no one wants any more | How is The Fault in Our Stars in this list?! OK, it's depressing as heck but it's a good book! | on Guardian | via Goodreads on FB

Silly

When power ballads lie to you | The first one won me over, natch | on The Daily Quicky

Classical art gets a FaceApp makeover | Snorfle | on The Daily Quicky

{Photo by @Ollyog}


10+ of the worst Design Fails [WARNING: SOME OF THESE ARE A BIT RUDE-LIKE!] | No I do not own a pair of flamingo leggings (#6). Fun fact (thanks, Emily!): the manufacturer later changed the design of the leggings. The change to the design was not a huge improvement ... Symmetry is not your friend. | on BoredPanda | via Edd

{Maze design failure aside: will you look at all that Comic Sans?!?!?!?
#retches}


• This Gilmore Girls LEGO set could become a reality | Teenytinylegokirk and teenytinylegoluke? YES PLEASE! | on Nerdist

{Attention to detail, though; where's Luke's megamullet?? | via here}
• This Ghostbusters Playmobil collection is already a reality! | And ... in spite of Hadley Freeman's enthusiasm for the film I've still never seen it; I should probably rectify that, right? | here


---

To paraphrase Robbie Williams, because, why wouldn't you?

You've been sensational; you've really done your bit.
It's been emotional; you know I love that shhhh ... enanigans


Until next time, FOQ!

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment