Sunday, 23 April 2017

Sunday Summary | Sing us a song, you're the piano man ...

Dear FOQ

Hope you all had an egg-cellent Easter (wow, that pun never gets old, does it, noooo)!

{Hello from your Quirky Bun-ette}
This fortnight, I have mostly been ...

Reading 📚

Yes, I finally finished 1984. It actually picked up a little towards the end but should I worry that it was the torture scenes that piqued my interest more than the Party's manifesto?

Bodes well for 8th June, any road.

I then shimmied on to the far more gentle (and long overdue):


which was followed by:


A cheery title, but a very readable YA novel about a young woman working through anxiety after the death of her little sister. (Thanks, Evie!)

I'm now embarking on:


Watching 📺👀


Whoa, what is all this Changing and Rearranging?

Why, yes, friends, I'm now binge-watching The Big Bang Theory (picking up where I left off last time I binge-watched TBBT) and reminding myself why I had/OK, have such a crush on Jim Parsons. I just ... he's just ... I'll leave it there.


Ma QB and I also half-watched The Book Thief over a particularly dramatic hand of UNO at Easter (which I won, people. I won)



Aaaand ... I've just seen that the whole series of Party of Five has rocked up on Netflix.


Welcome back, the Nineties. We missed you. Sorta.


Oh and I also rewatched E.T. 

Mini Henry Thomas and teeny Drew Barrymore break my schmaltzy little heart.



Catching up with the Foyles Goyls ... 🙋🙋🙋🙋

(Clare, Eloise, Evie and Katerina)

... at Le Pain Quotidien at the Royal Festival Hall (IKR? More change. As good as an 'oliday. Apparently.)

{FitBit Frieeeeends!}
These women are awesome. Funny, intelligent, daft as heck.

I'm very lucky to have 'em.


Meeting for an Early Supper (one of those, y'all) 🍕

... with this beauty:

{💓 | Photos by Nats}
at Prezzo (garlicbreadwithmozzarellaandcaramelisedonionsohhhhhyes) where I also saw former workmate Natasha and current workmate Katie.

(Not to mention that Natalie is also a former workmate; just needed an ex-Templar friend to rock up and I would have had a full house of People I've Worked with in Publishing since 2000.)


Bidding a fond farewell ... 😢🎹

... to the family piano which is moving on to a new home.


I won't bang on about this at length because, well, I'm ridiculously sentimental, but I have now managed to salve the pain by virtue of staring lovingly at photographs of Other Pianos on eBay and Pinterest, and consoling myself with the fact that for the princely sum of £0.99 plus delivery and tuning costs, probably, I could reinstate a piano into my life in the future.


If I ever get to own a house.

Plus also the ol' girl is really heckin' heavy and ain't nobody in their right minds lifting her up all those stairs into my flat. I have to be realistic.


Anyway.

After much swearing and many bum notes, I finally managed to eke out a reasonable (if ever so naive) rendition of Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx) – as ever there are a couple of duff notes and some crazy tempo changes (I'm no Alicia Keys/Derek Paravicini/Delta Goodrem) but I duz wot I can. This is largely played by ear as well, so ... yeah.

All the feels.


You have to take it on trust that this is me: I have epic piano-related performance anxiety that dates back to that time I tried to play Memory (I think? I've blanked out the specifics) during a piano recital at secondary school, and two girls in my year sat there giggling the whole time ... oh and there was also that time I tried to play Fur Elise (or, Furry Leaves) during another piano recital without my music teacher there for moral support and I muffed it up completely and then there was that other time I tried to play Send in the Clowns and, well, failed on all the monumental levels because It's a Very Hard Song to Play.

{This sticker has been on the piano since about 1990 ...}

Hence, the fingers-only perspective: Don't loooooook at me, I'm shyyyyyyy!


Doin' the Easter Hop 🐰👣

And by that I mean embarking on the annual Gangs' Easter Walk with the Family Friends. 'Twas a lovely route past bluebells and through private land (must be a familial trait ...) around pastoral Brasted/Knockholt, beginning at the church of St Martin's, Brasted, and ending at the Stanhope Arms next door.

The pub (in spite of our reservations as they changed their menu two days before our lunch thus omitting what would have been my choice) served up an epic lunch and put our rowdy group in the Barn (i.e. away from everyone else which is probably for the best!).


The walk was only just over five miles long, but there were some heavy-duty hills involved. Our calves reminded us of this on Saturday.

{St Martin's, Brasted.}

{Church and blossom.}

{The Stanhope Hotel, now the Stanhope Arms.}

{That's either Chevening, Sundridge, Brasted or Knockholt in the distance.}

{Bluebells!}
{The frontrunners walkers.}
{I have no idea what the point of this photo is but there
may have been blossom on yonder trees, and I like blossom.}


{Convex bunny selfie. Natch.}

{Heading to the finish line and the obligatory wine ...}

{Party barn!}

{Fairy lights wrapped around rafters are ALWAYS a good idea.}

Rocking out with ...

... these epic beauties:

{Stealthyselfie | Photo by Jos}

{Beyoncé's Maternity Covers, right here. | Photo by Jos}

for a night of courgette soup, karaoke and cocktails; why yes, I introduced Jos and Fern (and Jos' friend Ali) to the Lady in Red cocktail (I think we have a winner, people).

---

Now, as I'm in the throes of Embracing Change (not too much, mind; let's not go crazy now) I would like to introduce a new segment to the blog, known as:


Sunday Summary Showcase ⭐

This is your opportunity, as my lovely – and naturally, talented – readers, to send in a clip, image or excerpt of something you've created (written, painted, drawn, crafted) and/or performed, whatever you fancy (as long as it's not offensive; the Establishment – that is to say, me – reserves the right not to feature anything that may court huge controversy. Or anything that includes a Cyclops, because they freak me out; as do any critters with fewer or more than two eyes. You have been warned. No conceptual drawings of three-eyed kittens, I beg of you).

Your showcase piece should be something quite short and sweet (video clips should be no longer than five minutes, ideally, and can be an MP4 or a link to a YouTube video that you have personally originated and uploaded and which can be embedded into this blog) and if you've written an article or a short story, or a poem, just one side of A4 (max.) please.

If you are submitting something visual, please scan and email the file to the address below, and ensure the file is no larger than 1MB (or the computer cannae handle it, Captain. Well, of course it can, but it will just take longer to upload).

I hereby throw open the floor.

Please send your submissions to: quirkybss@gmail.com and await certain* stardom. The first showcase (providing anyone submits anything) will be in the next Summary, which I'm hoping to post on Sunday 6th May.

* certain = well, a moment of acclaim on this forum. I'm no Simon Cowell. My trousers don't ride that high for starters.

With thanks to Pete J for the idea.


Pinterest Pins of the Fortnight 📌

{True dat.}



Fortnightly Web Finds 🕸🔎

• Interesting read, this: How to leave work on time when you're rubbish at it {the leaving, not the work, I assume}| Harriet Minter on The Pool

Artist creates sinister 'Stephen King'-style book covers for classic love ballads | The Butcher Billy on Instagram | via Nerdist and Goodreads

{via here}

{via here}

• Pentatonix covers Bohemian Rhapsody. And it's epic. | via Glenda | on YouTube


That's all for now; stay warm. Can't believe I'm saying that in mid-to-late-April but there it is.

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment