Sunday, 26 March 2017

Sunday Summary | I don't know if we're in a garden ...

Dear FOQ

First of all, I'd like to wish all mummies out there a very Happy Mothering Sunday – especially my very own Ma QB (since I'm hanging out with her today and it'd be rude not to, quite frankly). And I'm sure she'd love me to mention that time (about 33 years ago) that I fell out of a tree on Mothering Sunday and ended up in hospital.

I'm all heart, I really am.

{From 2014}

I would also like to wish Lady Fiona a very Happy Birthday, and to both Fi and Bi, a very happy first Mothering Sunday as Mummies!

Second of all, can anyone tell me why Blogger sometimes doesn't bother to save your drafts even though you've been hitting Save all day, and yep, working on the wretched blog for much of the day? Ugh.

---

This fortnight, I have mostly been ...

Reading 📖



The very act of rewriting history to change facts, or to completely omit human beings, feels very ... current.

But apart from that, I'm kinda:


I need something fruity and zippy to read next ...


Watching 🎥

Guess what?

{Well, yuh, Rory, why wouldn't you?}
But also, rewatching

The Lovely Bones


Stanley Tucci, though. Creepy as.


Also rewatching:


Juno.

For the wisecrackin', mostly.

But wait, what!? Apparently this film is now ten years old.



Enjoying all the Fun of the (London Book) Fair 📚

... with workmate Emma.



... By enjoying I do mean walking the length and breadth of Olympia aka the human greenhouse, narrowly colliding with Very Important Publishing People who are So Important They Must Stop Dead Like Saturday Shoppers in the Middle of a Walkway to air-kiss ("Mwah, mwah, Lavinia, daaaaahling") or answer a Very Important Phone Call ("Yah, Dulcimer, I'm at the Fair ... but let's touch base later and I'll fill you in on the Paula Hawkins thing ...").

And burning out by about half eleven because of a complete dearth of seats. Ehgads.


However, in Positive News, I did get to see former workmates (from assorted sources) Caroline H and Pinelopi; if only I were an airkissy-mwah-mwah-schmoozie type; I'd have fit right in. Sadly I didn't get to see any of my Foyles Goyls for a veritable pick 'n' mix o' reasons but, hey, soon, ladies?

Also, our stand (Search Press, fyi) looked the mutts'; so much arty-crafty beautiful goodness. Nice, nice work. Feeling all the pride.


Lunching with my Lovelies 💕

... after a second a cappella rehearsal.

We decided that when in Rahgate we would do things the Rahgate way, and thus we found ourselves lunching at Côte (on Bell Street) which is like well posh and that. Just like what we is, innit?

In residence were: Jess (and son Jacob and Jacob's friend Laura, both out of shot), Charlie, Al, Jenny and Alun.

{Photo courtesy of Jess}
And I think we all came away pretty stuffed to the gills (I highly recommend the steak frites. I'd flippin' marry 'em if I could).

Too stuffed even for dessert which, we discovered, thanks to Charlie, comes with interpretative movement. (This is especially for Alun.)

Chocolate profiteroles look like this:


Chocolate sauce, however, moves like this:


All clear on that? Good.

(Charlie K, I love you very much, you flaming dessert-dancin' lunatic, you.)

Enjoying a mate date with this righteous beauty 💓

{Photo courtesy of Nats because I clearly couldn't focus by this point.}

at ASK, where we did all the catching-up and life-affirmations.

No hard partying or Miley Cyrus renditions this time, though; it'd been a long ol' week!

Hittin' Them Trails HARD 👣


(or, in common vernacular, taking myself out for a leisurely stroll last Sunday afternoon.)

Why yes, I extracted myself from the Den of Slack for an afternoon, first time in weeks, by and large following one of the routes in this lil' book:


with the inevitable segue when the written route began to make absolutely no freakin' sense. (It's the book; it's always the book, it's never me, noooo.)

Luckily the route was one I had done once or twice before in assorted manifestations so the homing instinct was good and strong.

I'm secretly a pigeon.


The book, being the book, gave the route at three and a half miles.


With the addition of the 1.87-mile walk to get to the start of the route (Rahgate Hill Cah Pahk), up Wray Lane which is an absolute mo-fo of a lane to clamber up, I clocked up seven miles in total over just under two-and-a-half hours which is slow-ish for me but not hideous (especially given I stopped at the Cah Pahk Caff for a bottle of water and to slap plasters on both heels, then stepped aside to take various photographs as the route progressed).

Here be some photographs from the walk what I done did:


{The view from Reigate Hill}

{Taking my enormous forehead for a walk.
In my defence it was hella windy up there on t'hills.}



{Oh look, it's the Inglis Memorial again!}

{On Colley Hill, very possibly labelled as somewhere entirely different
in a previous post.}

{The beautiful mosaic ceiling of the memorial}




{Deliciously imposing water tower}



{Spring is sprunging!}

{From Rahgate, looking Betchworth-way ...}
Pinterest Pins of the Fortnight 📌



Fortnightly Web Finds 🕸🔎

Serious

"My chickens saved my life" | Experience on Guardian.com | via birthday girl Fiona

Things I wish I'd been taught at school | Sali Hughes for The Pool

• This warms the cockles of my analogue heart: Physical books outselling digital books | on Guardian Books | via Twitter | Because you can't get a digital book signed by the author, now, can you? Noooo. *smugface*

• This trailer for Holly Becker (of decor8 blog)'s new book Decorate for a Party: 




looks beautiful (and ridiculously aspirational/ambitious but who cares? It's PRETTY):


Decorate For a Party Book Trailer from Holly Becker on Vimeo.

Silly

• LOVE this: I eyebombed my miserable town | on BoredPanda


(Watch out, town o' mine, I only have eyes for you. And R-eye-gate, of course. 👀)

• When the NYC subway banned dogs unless they fit in a bag, these owners got creative | on InspireMore | via workmate Edd

{This one for the win | via here}
And something especially silly to see us out ...


via workmate Juan

---

That's all from me for now – stay happy, stay healthy, stay safe.

qb xx

PS If anyone's wondering how the toad in the hole turned out (cooked last night), I will say only this: always ensure your sausages are cooked thoroughly before you submerge them in batter. 😳


And never trust anything you witness on social media.

Also, I may never want to eat sausages again.

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment