Sunday, 12 February 2017

Sunday Summary | Lub Tropiana*

* I'll leave you to fathom out my HILARIOUS joke here.

Dear FOQ

This fortnight, I have mostly been ...

Reading 📖

... and fi-hi-nally finishing:

{The Horse Witch | Sheila Fulton}
My educated verdict on the plot? The characters (of which there were too many)? The bloodshed ending? (Oops. Spoiler.)


I am now very happily simu-reading:


and:


(Natalie, you may well have to read this!)

To my odd little mind, Guardian columnists will forevermore have to measure up to the splendiferocity of Lucy Mangan; however, I grow increasingly fond of Hadley Freeman. She tipped the scale in her favour with this book:


but Life Moves Pretty Fast, an homage to the impact of 80s films both good and not so great, is one of those books that already has me nodding in agreement and squealing as HF gives a massive nod to Cynthia "Penny in Dirty Dancing who used to be married to Richard Marx and no I'm still not over the whole them-splitting-up-and-him-remarrying thing" Rhodes in a footnote.


Watching 📺

Hmm. Can't remember. Probably this:

{Gilmore girls | Lauren Graham gives excellent cry-face.}

So I teared up at Rory's graduation as well. Judge away.

Oh but, ooh, the OITNB Series Five Teasing has begun with four months to wait:


I've had to have my fill since the end of S4 by fangirling over the actors' Instagrams {ahem} but, bring it.


Oh and this. Again.

{The Devil Wears Prada}

Hanging with these beauties

{Gaby and Nats, my gorgeous and wondrous galpals}

then hitting the shops with this one, after a highly sustaining brunch at 'Spoons:


{Fluffy friends at Jeremy's Home Store, Emporium of Awesome}
and being rudely stalked ...

... by POKẾMON.





Partying like it's 2017

... and rocking up to two significant birthday celebrations in one day for friends-and-(former) neighbours Tilly (100 years old!) and Eve (60). I promise not to share the video of the performance of the birthday song we wrote for Eve, but trust me, it was West-End worthy.

(In the same way that the Spice Girls Musical was West End worthy.)


Joining the cult of Fitbit 🏅

Oh yep.

I may have mocked those with the gadgets initially, but I was just jealous, I promise.

Fitbit will make me WALK, goshdarnit. Or, at least it will justify the walking I already do. Yeah. Exactly that.

{Purty thang.}
Check my stats, yo:


{The Beek is so impressed.}

Quite a significant amount of that was done yesterday, when I trotted through the snow:


to meet a quality bunch o' Lovelies – Charlie, Jenny and Jess – for breakfast. Why, just over two years ago to the month (sort of thing) I walked from Horley to home.

Yesterday I walked from home ... to Horley. In the sner. Did I mention the sner?

Exciting route:
Ditto the scenery:



but genuinely worth the trog to eat All the Food and chew All the Metaphorical Fat with the Lovelies. With thanks to Jess' Jacob for taking the photos for us when my selfie ability abandoned me.

{Charlie, Jenny and Jess}

Thus, today I have mostly been ...

Doing the Duvet Day Thing 🛏 (but also Cooking 🍲)

Nothing says weekend slobbery like putting a gammon joint in a slow cooker and letting it do meaty magic (ahem) while you catch up with two months of magazines and an overflowing in-tray. Whilst staying in pyjamas all freakin' day. 


At least I had a kanelbulle to see me through my backlog. Oh! And the truly, truly beautiful enamelware coffee pot by Mini Moderns, that came to me yesterday as a slightly belated birthday gift because it hasn't been in stock for over six months. (Thanks, R!)

{Look! So pretty!}

---

Charlie Kilborn: you will wish to look away for this portion of the blog. Trust me on this. I'll give you a holler by way of a kitten gif when it's OK to come back.

And finally, finally ... I have mostly been ...

FINDING THE PUDDING RICE IN SAINSBURY'S!

It took me three weeks.

But I found it.


You can all rest easy now.

... The single life really is a hotbed of excitement on a daily basis.



OK, Charlie, it's safe to come back in.

---

Pinterest Pins of the Fortnight 📌


{It's a Sunday thing}




Web Finds of the Fortnight Dim and Distant Recent Past 🕸⏰

Serious

Covering Trump the Reuters Way | here | via Monika S

Well, this little snippet from Facebook Trending would suggest their focus is elsewhere 😠:


{Integrity. Riiiiight.}
Dystopian fiction that reflects Trump's US | here | also via Monika S *updates "Want to Read" list on good reads*

• 'Think about the bigger picture': life lessons from successful women | on Guardian Weekend

{Meryl Streep | Photograph: Brigitte Lacombe | via here}
See also here for the full features and interviews with the women in the article.

• Hate your commute? Try these tricks to cheer yourself up! {It's not clickbait, I promise}| on BBC | via Search Press

{That ain't no stinky pasty! Commuters' Christmas Party | photo: Jason Sutherland-Rowe}

• Specially for Ma QB: TINY TINY THINGS! Tiny dioramas created by Japanese artist Tatsuya Tanaka | via BoredPanda | via workmate Juan | see also here

{Tatsuya Tanaka}

{Tatsuya Tanaka}

My mind is a tiny bit blown.

• Love that these women are covering 'Promise Me' on Holland's The Voice: definitely think the second singer's voice is more suited but the first singer brings something different to the table. And the harmony?! Whoa. Yes. | via Beverley Craven on FB


• Gaga sings the Superbowl | #fangirlingoverhere | on YouTube | via Jude


But no, I did not manage to get tickets to see La Gaga in October. 😭

Well, I could have done but, ain't nobody paying upwards of £80. I mean, she's epic and everything but this is a concert, not a deposit on a future home, after all (!).


Besides, I have events aplenty lined up for the next couple of months. Gaga will be back. (She'd better be.)

• 'It's sunny and safe': why Gilmore girls makes perfect comfort viewing | Abigail Radnor on Guardian Weekend

Silly

Despatches from a bad date | here | via Overheard in Waitrose on FB | Er, did either of these individuals even attempt to make conversation or were they both glued to their phones the whole time?!

Totes annoying: words that should be banned | Justin Myers for Guardian Weekend | May Myers never happen upon this blog, then: pretty sure a lot of these word-crimes have been committed here on qb over the years as I attempt to stay Down wiv da Kidz (rather than having to Adult, obvs).

{Illustration: Justin Gabbard}

Modern tribes: The office stoic | Catherine Bennett for Guardian Weekend | We all know the office martyr who would come in with bubonic plague rather than call in sick ...

• Warning: some Snapchat Face Swaps are actually Dark as Heck (thanks, Edd, for these treats! 😱): here and here | links only because they're too scary to share as pictures on here. Yep.

These two might actually give you the heebs for life:


• I've been moderately successful with my cooking of late (touch wood); however, these still exist as proof that the kitchen is a dangerous place: Some of the worst kitchen fails | on Bored Panda

{To be fair, the pie was brutal to start with.}


Don't have nightmares; do sleep well.

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment