Sunday, 15 November 2015

Sunday Summary | extra bubbly


Dear FOQ --

This week has been, well, the word 'polarised' fairly well encapsulates it. On a global scale it's really not been the greatest on so many fronts.

It's been pretty feckin' horrific, truth be told.

But on a local scale -- while it's been absolutely frenetic, I can honestly say that this week has driven home to me (and not for the first time) how lucky I am to be surrounded by some truly, truly magnificent people.

It's extremely difficult at times like these to admit that in the midst of horror and unease across the globe (and often far too close to home), it is also possible to kick back with those people you love and trust and have the best times with, and have fun, enjoy oneself, and get one's happy on.

That's not to say we're distancing ourselves or are not sympathetic to all the grimness in the world. We're human. I do believe we're allowed to demonstrate more than one feeling in the course of a year. Month. Week. Day. Hour. Minute, sometimes.

But there's a danger that if you dedicate yourself only to mourning every single catastrophic world event -- and there are too many to count -- you will just become so mired in depression over the state of the world that you're liable to lose sight of any joy that can also be found, or to see any way in which you can make a positive difference.

It just means that we are living life in the moment, savouring it while we have it.

And I hope we don't think we need to feel guilty for that.

I'm very aware that this blog is neither ground-breaking or eye-opening (although I've had some delicious moments on the subjects of sexism and feminism in the recent past). This is a very self-indulgent platform (it's all about meeee plus a few guest appearances) but one of the reasons I write it is to remind myself how fortunate I am to have what I have in life.

But to those of you truly feeling the strain at the moment, let me share this gif that Natalie posted this week, which we all wish were a thing:


---

So. Where to begin?

This week, I have mostly been ...

Reading

I finally finished Quiet and it was superb. Truly. I'm about to start reading a whole stack of books on exploring creativity and mindfulness and all sorts of modern-day witchery but for the time being, I'm reading this. Because it's silly and Jim Smith's illustrations and turns of phrase make me laugh.


Watching

Actually not had a whole lot of time to watch anything this week, but it's been 30 Rock all the way. Liz Lemon is my age and a bit tactless and ridiculous, and for that I love her.

{Liz Lemon stole my moves!}
Writing


{via here}
Y'know what, it's going well. The words are a chain of contradictory contradictions and clichés and such, but at the crucial halfway point (and at the time of writing this particular bit of the blog in between NaNo-ing), I find myself 3,000+ words over the halfway point target.

video

So, yes, Grammarly, thank you -- I forgive myself for not hitting the daily tallies every day because in spite of that, I am on target, babies. On target and a bit!


[UPDATE: I'm now on 29,230. This was not a wasted Sunday, oh no. I win at weekends.]

The Plan for today is to hit that 30,000 mark then I can pour a cheeky celebratory vino:


kick back and enjoy the rest of the evening (after I've done the ironing, natch).

Then spend the rest of the week playing catch-up because, yep, it's another busy one.

You've truly not devoted yourself to the NaNoWriMo cause until you find yourself typing in the queue at Costa or while standing on the Overground ...

Ah well. I can handle it, friends. 

As this Bill Murray gif will attest.


Doing that Social/Human Interaction Thang

Yes. That is correct. It is a thang. For I am totally hip and with it, and that's just how it is.

(I may have had too much coffee.)

On Wednesday I schlepped over to Soho to meet former workmate and all-round bastion of fabulosity, Miranda, for a spot o' supper. My work hours being flexi and hers being less so, I found myself in Foyles (big marvellous bookshop) for an indulgent hour prior to our get-together, able to fit in a little bit of semi-pretentious word-writing-stuff in the upstairs cafe, with a cup o' hot chocolate beside me.

Miranda rocked up shortly after half six, and we made our way past the temptation of ALL THE BOOKS and out of the shop, to hunt down the superlative Flat Iron Steak emporium. But alas! Alack! There was at least an hour's wait to be seated.


So off we pootled to the equally smashing Fernandez and Wells for Cabernet, chorizo omelettes and a long-overdue catch-up with additional life advice. And jolly lovely it was too.

{Blurry Beesville and Snowy | outside a bookshop, natch}
On Friday (after having the great fortune of randomly uncovering a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge that I had no idea was there) I wandered round to the home of Voicerox Lovely Diane for a final rehearsal with fellow Lovelies, as we were due to perform two songs at Pete's party on Saturday evening. There was Prosecco (standard fare for these rehearsals, I'm rather pleased to say), pizza, and fudgy nuts -- all there to warm the vocal chords for a productive rehearsal:

These folks are nothing if not perfectionists but don't be fooled by the serious faces -- there was much mirth to be had.

See?
D'aw, look at my Lovelies all smiley and ... er, blue? What the what?

{I'm blue-da-ba-dee-da-ba-dooby-dooby ... go home, QB, you're caffeinated}

Then -- breathe, QB, breathe -- on Saturday I was helping staff the bookstall at the church Christmas Fayre. Eeeee! Yes, I was in (shared) charge of ALL THE BOOKS.


{It's OK, this isn't really click-and-zoom-worthy, it's just representative of ALL THE BOOKS}
Made me want to open up a tiny second-hand bookshop of my own and tap into the spirit of my inner Bernard Black (but ever so slightly less antagonistic):


Sadly it didn't feel as though there was nearly as much footfall as in previous years -- the grim weather didn't help, nor did the competing event of original Star Wars cast members appearing at the local shopping centre. 

Still, we did pretty well considering we were selling our beautiful wares at a steal. And I was very well behaved. I only bought three for myself:

  

And then, and then I only went and won a bottle of champers on the bottle tombola! This, the day after I'd found an unopened bottle of Prosecco in the fridge. Yes. So much of yes.


That's Monday Christmas sorted, then.

Then, on Saturday evening, it was ... drum roll please ... Voicerox Pete's Gothicana-themed 40th birthday party!

And it was magnificent. The Voicerox Lovelies (and their Lovelies) were in residence, and all looked splendid -- there was some real attention to detail and a lot of emotional investment made in costumes and make-up by all the guests (and the host himself looked like he'd made a fair bit of effort). 

So, big gothic shout-outs to Pete and Nicola, Jos, Charlie, Kate and Steve, Alun and Christine, Martin and Ali, Dan, Jude and Tony, Diane and Simon, Gayle and Oli, and Lindsey and Nick and I really hope I haven't forgotten anyone because that would be awks.

There was singing (including our Jude taking to the piano with a rather spectacular rendition of Wuthering Heights)! There was cake! There was Prosecco! And there was dancing, to possibly the best party playlist ever

Top night.

{Jos looking darn minxy. Which is right and proper}

{Alun: much respect for the Paris solidarity,
my friend}

{Birthday boy Pete and
the Wheel of Organised Fortune}
{Ali and Martin | Martin, my birthday
buddy, rocking that rewired top hat}

{Lindsey and Gayle | hardcore to the last}
{Jude, wuthering those heights} 
{See, I knew I'd missed off a few photos -- there were no
shots of Charlie in the first draft of the post! And that
wouldn't have done at all.}

{I think I've just accounted for your injuries, Jos ... | "All siddown"}
{Who's that man and why is he wearing an Alun mask?
#weirdcameraangles}
I swear I took even more photos but I think the light swallowed a lot of people's heads. Soz. (I'm also waiting to find out if I can share any of the official photos because they are fantastic, so may need to update the post at a later date with more piccies. Photo booths at parties? Yes.)

As for moi? I was channelling this fabulous specimen of pseudo-neo-quasi-Goth:


NAILED IT.

{Photo by Jos}
No, actually really. I surprised myself. Double sequin suits are fashion-forward. You heard it here first. (And yes, the suit Scary Siobhan is wearing is indeed gold sequin not black, but c'mon. I had to buy something off eBay that I could wear more than once, right?)

Pete, the party was legendary. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we all did.



Pinterest Pin of the Week


Weekly Web Finds

... will just have to wait because I cannot be narfed to compile them all now.

Tune in next week for another instalment of Stuff QB Has Done in the Week.

Love you all.

Stay safe and fabulous.

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment