Sunday, 9 August 2015

Sunday Summary

This week, I have mostly been...

Installing Windows 10

...and subsequently plunging my laptop into a state of discombobulated limbo.

Laptop no likey.

Word to the wise? Your Windows 7 or 8 OS are perfectly adequate for your needs. Just... don't go there.

I'm currently operating off a laptop borrowed from work and with my trusty external hard drive plugged in. No Photoshop Elements, mind, so no sexy white and blue picture frames this week, I'm sorry to say. (The devil's in the detail, darling readers.)

This is the blue screen of oblivion that I get when endeavouring to reset the wretched machine:


and I've had several other passive-aggressive screens up in my grill in the last few days.

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Still.

Considerably worse things have happened, especially in the last month or so, giving this QB a much-needed slap upside the head in terms of perspective.

This is a laptop having a blip. An inanimate machine. I'm actually a lot more zen than I've ever been in the face of a PC fail before.


...So, in between destroying my tech, I've also been...

Reading



closely followed by the equally baffling:


Listening

...to Spotify again.

I stepped away from Spotify when the proliferation of adverts overrode the novelty of streaming music (this is still an irritation but less so now); and back when I was working on NaNoWriMo in 2012 I streamed Stereomood, which is how I discovered Max Richter and the Sarah's Key soundtrack that still underpins that novel I haven't finished writing (though watch this space in the coming weeks for more news on that front).


Well, Stereomood has disappeared into the ether, but Spotify has picked up the slack and is now offering 'mood playlists'. I approve.


My Saturday morning treat is currently a chilled Morning Coffee/Breakfast in Bed-style playlist over waffles and coffee and back issues of the Guardian Weekend or Stylist.


Who knows what might transpire?! Ed Sheeran, Passenger, Liane La Havas (who I need to investigate further along with Ben Howard)... it's all good.

Also,

...listening to the vinyl collection. Which seems to grow every time I slope into a charity shop. Ahem.


Watching




{The Goonies}

...for the first time along with AJ (to whom I also introduced the epic genius of Labyrinth).

Yes, cleave your jaws off the floor, friends, for I have, at the age of 37, initiated myself into the Goonies realm.

What the heck were you doing with your childhood?! I hear you ask (if you weren't one of the 'privileged' few who knew me before my forays into GHDs, wine and basic social skills).

Well, this film, for starters, was more a part of my childhood (video routinely borrowed from Radio Rentals!):


{Return to Oz | mtv via here}

with apologies to anyone who got corralled into re-enacting this traumatic little anti-Disney specimen (Clare, Katie, Jo, cousin Rachel...?).

Goonies is a whole 'nother thing. Those baby-faced 80s icons -- Sean Astin, Corey Feldman... -- not to mention the renowned Truffle Shuffle... and of course Sloth.

Now I finally understand who the Keith Lemon Sketch Show is taking off! Get me and my cultural references.

(I do sort of wish I'd seen it in the 80s though; I think I'd have appreciated it more.)

Watching (and pretty much crying consistently through...)

...the truly astounding YESOS (the young arm of the East Surrey Operatic Society) schools'-edition production of Les Miserables on Friday night, directed by my fabulous and talented friend Fiona (who hasn't had a mention in here for a little while so -- here you go, lovely!).

{via here}
Oh. My. Word. Or, as they might have said in Victor Hugo's time, Oh! Mon mot! (ou, pas)

I'm in complete and utter awe of how talented and passionate this group of young people are and how much emotion spilled forth from every single person on stage. The principals could not have been better cast if 1980s Les Mis veterans Colm Wilkinson, Patti LuPone or the beautifully bedimpled Michael Ball were wrung through an anti-ageing machine and popped back on stage for a three-day run.

The whole cast were strong, and the vocals were first-class, especially in the ensemble pieces, where the combined young voices at the very end during the reprise of Do You Hear the People Sing was properly, spine-tinglingly eerie and wonderful; but there were a few standout performers especially in the lead roles of Valjean, Javert (who could have given Russell Crowe a few lessons on emoting), Fantine, Eponine, Cosette and Marius, as well as the two (even-younger) youngsters playing Gavroche and young Cosette. So much darn potential.

Fi, you should be so proud!


And I'm pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house from Drink with Me through to Bring Him Home during which Tom Ball as Valjean demonstrated, not for the first time that night, his astounding vocal abilities. Plural.

*hears "God on hiiiiigh"; reacts*

Oh and in between all this cultural immersion I've been watching more Flight of the Conchords. I'm on to series 2 now.

Highlight so far? The Tough Brets. Bret tries to get a gang together to protect him against rappers he might have insulted in song. Meanwhile, Murray gets into a rivalry with members of the Australian Consulate.

Which appears to include Jim Robinson from Neighbours. Of course.

Enjoy this homage to West Side Story...



And yes, that's Adam Garcia again on the steps with fake, dancing, Jim Robinson. Adam Garcia sporting facial foliage. We love him.

Pinterest Pin of the Week



Weekly Web Finds

Sensible
Silly


That's all from me for now.

Who knows what tech I can possibly annihilate in the coming week...

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment