Sunday, 29 March 2015

Sunday Summary

This week, I have mostly been...

Reading


{Love these quick-read classics!}

Still Alice was a great if upsetting read, by the way -- if anyone wants to borrow my copy, do holler.

Walking

Walking shenans just got REAL: yes, my walk quota is gradually rising in indirect proportion to the amount of time I've got left 'til the London 2 Brighton Challenge (<< do please check - and kindly follow - the gratuitous sponsorship link, friends).

As a result this weekend saw me clock up not one but two walks. They don't call me Hardcore Harwood for nothing. Actually, they don't call me that at all.


On Saturday I forewent one Voicerox concert, one Palm Sunday drama rehearsal and two party invitations (not to mention a partridge in a pear tree) to chalk up this walk:


There was a fair amount of hedgerow-jumping required (where'd all the pavements go, darn-nabbit?!), so the iPod came off pretty soon after I joined Rocky Lane.

However I am getting much better at Mindful Marching, surviving three hours' walking without NOW! Dance 2002 to see me through. (Admission: I did get so starved for music at one point, though, that I sang to the sheep. But that's between you, me and the flock, 'kay?)

{My heartfelt rendition of Gorecki by Lamb
did not go down well}
Fun factoid: See that area on the map, to the right, leading upwards and round and down again? That's mostly Chipstead. You may remember Chipstead from this post back in February.

I'm pleased to report that this time round, and for the most part, Chipstead did not faze me. I was even able to admire that in fact it was rather pretty.

{The Granary | It's not leaning, I just
take wonky photos}
That said, whoever built a trail through a golf course, or more likely a golf course across a viable walking trail, needs to be blindfolded and made to walk the same trail across a muddy field, and see what a discombobulation it is. Even in daytime the route's a blighter. I had to be directed back on track by a friendly golfer, so off-kilter were my wanderings at one point. Just wrong.

But after that all was well. I crossed a patchwork blanket of fields, and marched onwards and homewards

{The arty edgy underpass beneath the M25. Scenic, oui?}

even meandering the grounds of the Royal Alexandra and Albert School. Not entirely sure I was meant to be on campus but there we go.

Clocked up 12.18 miles in 3.43 hours. Not bad-going. But wait, there's more!

In a fit of post-payday euphoria I invested in... wait for it... A LAMINATOR.

{Laminatin' my training programme...}
And when I set out on my trogs (yes, trogs, plural) I was able to take with me a fully laminated, and therefore waterproof, list of directions, attached to me via a lanyard and yes I really am the biggest walk geek that ever lived.

{Oh. Dear. Just... OK, move on.
#spesh}

Today I headed back up Reigate Hill for a two-and-a-half-hour slog to Mordor


SORRY, misread the map again!...


It is of course Mogador, and over Walton Heath (another golf course, yay!), then back along the North Downs and Pilgrims' Way...s to home Reigate Station.

Lots of wind. And mud. And sun. And rain.

{Why the long face...?}
Fer cryin' out loud, weather, would you pick a nice consistent system and stick with it for more than an hour, please?!

First this...

{It were right grim on t'moors...}
then this...

{I spy... a tiny sparkle of sunlight}
And for a good while (yay) this:


Cue: Happy (if ever so slightly 'touched') qb...

{Again with the #spesh}

Today's scores on the doors: a moderate 7.24 miles in 2 and a half hours. Not bad given the aforementioned rain. Mud. Wind. All of that.

Watching

Well, it's still House, natch, but I've just finished the episode in which this happens:



Makes me happy. That and that irrepressible spark between House and Cuddy.

Pinterest Pin of the Week (with added segue)



The segue being of course that I have decreed that April shall be Awesome, and once again I'll be clogging up the blog and my already brimming Pinterest boards with positive affirmations to keep us all feeling buoyant, empowered and, of course, awesome.

Weekly Weblinks

Literary Linkage


But it's written by Sarah Polley. I'll allow it. | {via NYPL, via AV Club}





Non-literary Linkage


And finally...


...Oh, go on, have another piggiwig!

{TOO MUCH!}
Stay awesome, you lovely lot.

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment