Sunday, 11 January 2015

Sunday Summary | The 100th episode!

Happy Sunday, friends!

Excitement: this is the 100th post on The Quirky Brunette! I think that calls for a celebration, no?


The first post can be read here, if you fancy.

Before I start this post proper-like, I'd like to extend a wry gesture of thanks to my never-ever pedantic friend R, who pointed out the irony of my declaration that this year, "it's not all about me"... on a blog that is, effectively, all about me. Apologies for this indulgence but, with the exception of my grievances against all rail companies ever, this week, I'm just keeping it here so it's not on Facebook. I'm doing peeps a favour. Honest.

And on the subject of Facebook, this little film is a very interesting commentary on the 'reality' of our Facebook selves:


How much of our lives do we edit for effect?

"Ultimately, Facebook is a narcissistic playground where the best, the funniest, the most charming aspects of our lives are publicized and the sh***y stuff, the boring stuff, the beige that is most of our daily grind almost never gets posted."

Almost never, but not actually 'never'... so says the vocal, aggrieved commuter. Ahem. Sorry.

This week, I have mostly been...

Walking


Now, I'm not going to document every training walk I do between now and May (you'll be delighted to hear) but I've clocked up over 17 miles this week in my first set-of-steps towards the London 2 Brighton Challenge which I'm walking for The MS Society. Hurrah!

What is it Confucius say: "A journey of a thousand sixty-two-point-one-three-seven miles begins with a single step"? (Or was it Lao Tzu? Either way, true story.)

I did of course get somewhat Befuddled in Battersea (and not for the first time) when I took a wrong turning and ended up retracing my steps like an eejit. But hey. It meant a few more steps on the pedometer so that's nice. Plus, before I took that wrong turning I got to see this view over the river. Made me hate London about 0.02% less.


I've also upgraded my membership of MapMyWalk so I can take advantage of the live tracking function that my wise cousin Jo has been employing for years.

And, thank you to those lovely people among you who have already sponsored me; it's very much appreciated.

Reading | We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

Confession: I've only read the first few pages. But still. Yay.



Watching | Tangled

Laughed. Cried. Had moments of forgetting it was an animation.


Yep. Pascal thinks that's ridiculous too.

Oh and this song? Just a bit marvellous.


"Strumming Mahalia with my fingers..."

Yep, that sounded less filthy in my head.

This is Mahalia:


named after this lady:


I need to work on teaching her (the red, wooden Mahalia, that is) to hold a note but she's a beauty. Very excited about learning to play her properly -- the ambition is to be playing this song by this time next year (speaking of being able to hold a note...):


Weekly Weblinks

Literary Linkage
*because he doesn't have any actual friends with whom to form a book group in person, maybe? Oh snap (!) Already there's a self-publisher on the group page, pimping their own book. No thank you, I'll pass. Now, anyone else want to share their feelings on Wide Sargasso Sea?

Non-literary Linkage
And finally...
by Pierre-Adrien Sollier | See more here

Catch you on the flipside, amigos.

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment