Sunday, 12 October 2014

Sunday Summary Resurgence

Hello to you!

I'm hoping to resume normal service here on the SS after a few most excellent weeks out of 'circulation' -- please bear with, though; I've almost forgotten how to do this.

But here goes!

These past weeks, I have mostly been...

Reading



Still.

It's almost taken me the eponymous Allan Karlsson's lifespan to get through this book. It's not that I'm not enjoying it -- I am. But it's definitely a dip-in-dip-out type of book.

I've also read two YA novels from work in uncorrected proof format (as yet unpublished so I don't feel I can disclose the titles just yet but I can assure you they'll be worth a read when they do make it into the public sphere...).

And on Friday, I read:

Once | Morris Gleitzman:



A good companion to The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, this was extremely harrowing for a child's book. I couldn't rate it fewer than five stars.

I'm now also simu-reading:

The Shock of the Fall | Nathan Filer


and trying to get back on target to read 50 books this year. (I'm counting those proofs as two of my quota, so technically I am only 3 books behind schedule. Yep. 50 is totally achievable.)

Rewatching | I've Loved You So Long



But first, I digress.

I touched very briefly last week on having seen the -- let's just call her splendid ("what did you think?" "Splendid, I thought") -- Kristin Scott Thomas in Electra at the Old Vic last week and I do feel I owe the play and KST (we're on acronym terms...) a slightly longer review than simply "splendid".


It's a vaguely modern interpretation of Sophocles' tale of Electra, driven mad by grief after the murder of her father by her mother and mother's lover, and the events that transpire when Electra's long-lost brother Orestes returns home after being presumed dead, to avenge their father's death. Very esoteric.

One or two casting liberties aside (the actor playing Electra's mother may well have been younger than KST as Electra herself but we'll gloss over that, and the fact that Electra's 'twin' brother was potentially young enough to be her son -- it's all Acting after all!), the production was pared-back splendour (did I mention it was splendid?). It boasted some very strong performances in roles that involve lengthy, emotive monologues -- and in the case of KST's Electra, a lot of rolling about in sand and powerful evocations of grief, euphoria, and back to grief again.

KST is infinitely watchable (in spite of, or even maybe because of, one or two very brief line-blips -- hey, no one's perfect, and those were some long monologues...) with a fine turn in comic timing, incidentally, and this live performance fix gave rise to a need to watch a few choice articles from KST's cannon.

Ergo, I've Loved You So Long.

***WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS...***

ILYSO (2008) is the story of Juliette and her younger sister Lea, reunited after fifteen years -- Lea's family and friends are mildly uncomfortable with the reappearance of the elusive sister, especially when it transpires that Juliette is responsible for the death of her six-year-old son.

The film is beautifully played out, and Juliette -- initially hardened by the fifteen years she has spent in jail -- visibly softens and warms as the film evolves and her story rises to the fore.

Celebrating 12 years at QB Heights

...by allowing the nice man to come and repaint my bedroom after ongoing mould damage has left me with a two-tone wall. Pictures to follow, maybe. But then I said that last year...!

And that's about it!

Yes, my friends, I am back to the quiet domestic life. My passport expires in February, so until I get that renewed, no adventures for QB.

I'm sure I'll find ways to fill the time though. After all, only 10 and a bit weeks 'til Christmas.


WAIT, WHAT?! Lots to do before then.



Ten Pins

My last ten pins on Pinterest:

{1. flapper dress prospecting for the party season...}

{2. Coco Chanel}

{3. how to emulate 1920s style}

{4. happy flappers}

{5. more flapper dress prospecting}

{6. 1920s linen dress}


{7. fancy fonts | these are pretty!}


{8. the Flat Iron building at sunset}

{9. fresh fonts}

{10. wise words}

Weekly Weblinks

Some links are two to three weeks old... but still worth following if that's your bag!

Literary Linkage
{via here}

Non-literary Linkage


And finally...

  • On everyday sexism | Evie's prosaic, and alarming, depiction is well worth a read. How can we change the tide?

---

Until the mood hits me again (gnarf)... ta-ta for now!

qb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment