Sunday, 19 October 2014

Domingo Resumen: o, Todo Sobre Mi Semana*

¡Hola!

You may be wondering why I'm randomly littering the Sunday Summary with my expertly Google-translated Spanish -- you'll find out shortly. ¡Hasta la vista, baby!

This week, I have mostly been...

Reading | guess what?! Seriously. STILL. This book will not go away. It's funny and clever, and ever so slightly evocative of Forrest Gump, but I've read longer books in less time!



But I did manage to finish:


While I did enjoy it, in general, and I do respect the opinions of people associated with Costa Coffee (because it's my favourite of the high street coffee shop chains), I just felt mildly underwhelmed by the lack of novelty in the story.

Was I missing something? Have I read too many tales of grief and repentance?! I dunno.

I'm now also simu-reading/dipping in and out of:

{Author of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake}

* (Re)Watching | All About My Mother {Todo sobre mi madre}


Hence the arbitrary Español! (which translates as All About My Week...)

I saw the film quite a long time ago alongside another Almoldovar film (the name of which evades my decrepit old brain at this time...) but had forgotten a lot of the detail so it was great to rediscover it again with work friends Evie, Ben and Eloise, over vino tinto and Malibu chocolate brownies.

 The précis, according to IMDB: Young Esteban want to become a writer and also to discover the identity of his father, carefully concealed by the mother Manuela.

***SPOILER ALERT***AND YES I'M AWARE THIS IS AN OLD FILM SO SPOILER ALERTS ARE FAIRLY REDUNDANT***IT'S A COURTESY THING***

To add to that: After Esteban is killed in a road accident, Manuela returns to Barcelona to find her son's father, and becomes embroiled -- ever so quickly! -- in great friendships, tragedies, and revisiting the role of Stella in A Streetcar Named Desire. As you do after approximately three days in a city. :-)

Having my eyes opened... 

...by this disarming and powerful speech by Laura Bates, the remarkable and eloquent person behind the Everyday Sexism project. Please do watch it: it's 16 minutes long and may make you want to pause and reflect, and shake your head at the way of things, then unpause, continue and celebrate solidarity.



And that's all I've achieved this week, except for slowly, sturdily working through editing my friend Georgie's memoir! (We're getting there, our Kes...)

So, without further ado, on to...

Ten Pins

My last ten pins on Pinterest:

{1. words of wisdom}

{2. beautiful beach scene by Rosie D'argenzio | via Design*Sponge}

{3. personalise your snail-mail}

{4. what, more NY architecture?!
Old TWA terminal, JFK -- formerly Idlewild}

{5. gingerbread hot chocolate
autumn/winter in a cup <3}

{6. old toy kaleidoscope
80s childhood nostalgia}

{7. regarde la mer!}

{8. neapolitan ice cream | 80s childhood nostalgia}

{9. Grotbags | 80s childhood nostalgia}

{10. regarde la mer... encore!}

Weekly Weblinks

Literary Linkage
Non-literary Linkage
{© Dmitry Belov}

And finally...

Hasta la próxima vez ... ¡estancia fabulosa!

qb xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment